COURSE OVERVIEW -- Click here for COURSE SAMPLE
The purpose of this course is to introduce trainees – particularly those people who have had little or no previous exposure to mining – to key pieces of heavy equipment most often used on mine sites and large construction projects. These work sites are busy places and may expose workers to a variety of hazards and dangers. Trainees need to have a clear understanding of how these machines work and interact, and common safety hazards to be aware of when working around them. It is usually a prerequisite to most other equipment courses.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
• Identify the key equipment types used in mine operations and related hazards.
• Understand core safety principals and use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
• Identify operating principals common to most types of equipment.
Lesson 1: Introduction to Heavy Equipment
• Introduction to the course and work site safety.
Lesson 2: Types and Primary Uses
• Introduction to seven types of earthmoving machines and explanation of how each plays a part in moving material in the mine:
• Crawler dozers
• Hydraulic excavators
• Motor graders
• Wheel loaders
• Rear-dump rigid frame haul trucks
• Articulated frame haul trucks
• Hydraulic face shovels
Lesson 3: Worksite Safety
• Identify key safety principles, including due diligence, engineered controls, administrative controls, and personal protective equipment (PPE).
Lesson 4: Start Up and Shut Down
• Explain how heavy machinery responds to being started in cold weather and what can be done to transition it to operating temperature with the least amount of machine stress.
• Outline important steps that must be followed when shutting down a machine after it has been working hard.
Final Exam – 26 question exam with incorrect response feedback
Trainers: Before you begin classroom or field training, why not provide your trainees with a solid foundation of knowledge about the equipment and how to operate it safely? This e-learning training course can be delivered anytime, anywhere you have access to a high-speed internet connection.
Overall Course Specifications:
Estimated length of training program: 1 - 2 hours + final test
Number of test questions: 26
Printable Certificate of Completion: Yes, with person's name, date, and test score
Final Exam Feedback report: Yes
Immediate online delivery for one person - viewable for up to 60 days